Companies operating across borders are faced with more and more VAT obligations: not just in Belgium, but also in the other EU Member States. Managing VAT problems requires a high level of experience and knowledge.
The Van Havermaet International VAT team has broad experience in every possible VAT issue or question. From high-tech advice to day-to-day compliance, our VAT team has the experience to guide you through the Belgian and international VAT landscape. We can guide you through the obligations, and even take over your company’s VAT obligations with respect to accounts and reports. We consider it our mission to lighten your administrative burden.
We can help you with the following:
- VAT representation for non-resident VAT payers;
- Representation of companies during VAT audits by the Belgian VAT authorities;
- Real estate transactions for both seller and buyer;
- Restructuring companies;
- Due diligences from a VAT perspective;
- VAT audits;
- Assistance on intra-EU transactions;
- VAT rates;
- VAT exemptions;
- VAT grouping for Belgian resident companies.
The impact of Brexit on Belgian VAT registration
Before a foreign company can carry out taxable transactions in Belgium, this company must, in principle, register for VAT purposes in Belgium. A different regime applies depending on whether the foreign company is established in the EU or outside the EU.
Brexit – How can you prepare?
Will the United Kingdom leave the EU or stay? Or will there be another interim solution? The deal that Theresa May negotiated with the EU the last two years was shot down by the British Parliament on 15 January. Apparently the English themselves don’t know what they want. It reminds me of that song by Meat Loaf. “What’s it gonna be, boy? Yes or no?”. It seems that the No-deal scenario of 29 March 2019 will now be a lot more realistic than everyone thought so far. So you better be prepared.
VAT registration in Belgium
WHY REGISTER FOR VAT
If you perform transactions subject to Belgian VAT – such as distance sales exceeding the Belgian threshold, local services in connection with immovable property, etc. – you must register for VAT in Belgium.
TYPES OF VAT REGISTRATION
There are 3 possibilities for foreign taxable persons to register for VAT in Belgium:
- a direct Belgian VAT number, with or without appointment of a mandatory
- a VAT number with appointment of a fiscal representative
- a VAT special registration for occasional activities / happenings, fairs and merchandising / paid passengers transport
No matter what type of registration fits your company, we can help you to obtain your Belgian VAT number and fulfill all the formalities after registration.